Uncapped Georgia Redmayne admits it was a slight gamble to fly to England earlier this year after the vast majority of Australian cricketers withdrew from The Hundred.
On Tuesday, Redmayne will be the least rusty member of Australia’s 18-player squad when their multi-format series against India starts in Mackay.
The 27-year-old is no certainty to be selected but many good judges believe a debut is a case of when – not if – after a superb 2020-21, when she captained Queensland to a maiden one-day title after a prolific WBBL season.
The Brisbane Heat opener’s on-field composure is matched by a capacity to juggle medical and cricket careers.
The doctor resigned from Tweed Heads Hospital at the start of this year, preferring to take on locum gigs between cricket commitments.
The wicketkeeper-batter’s first conundrum to follow came when the Welsh Fire wanted a late replacement for gun opener Beth Mooney.
Uncertainty clouded key dates for Australia’s season at that stage and the Indian Premier League shutdown was fresh in the minds of many; not one nationally-contracted Australian made the trip over for The Hundred.
Redmayne took the chance, finished 10th on the run-scoring charts, and ultimately served just as long in hotel quarantine as Meg Lanning and other teammates linking up with the national squad from Sydney or Melbourne.
But it wasn’t until last month’s text message exchange with chief selector Shawn Flegler at 2.30am that she sensed a national call-up could be brewing.
Redmayne, sensing the impending conversation might be important, asked Flegler if he could delay calling until the morning.
“I’d never had that experience, I didn’t want to get my hopes up too high,” Redmayne told AAP.
“My problem is that I then had to go back to sleep.
“It was all super exciting. I was really grateful and it came as a bit of a surprise.
“I’d love to get the chance to debut then be involved in the Ashes and World Cup but it’s one step at a time.”
West Indies star Hayley Matthews and England veteran Sarah Taylor, dubbed the best keeper in the world by Adam Gilchrist in 2018, were among Redmayne’s teammates in the new tournament featuring 100-ball innings.
“Being able to play on some of the biggest grounds in the country over there – and probably in front of the biggest crowds that I’ve ever played in front of – was incredible,” Redmayne said.
“I asked a few questions before signing up and decided the opportunity was probably too great to miss.
“I’m really glad I did and having to cop two weeks quarantine wasn’t the end of the world.
“A slight gamble but I was pretty confident after the conversations I had.”